Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow



I have a bit of a green thumb which I inherited from countless generations of gardeners. Maybe it's the British side of me. Every summer I plant a different array of seasonal plants and flowers, and move my indoor plants outside.

I generally shoot for the buds that attract butterflies, and have even seen the occasional hummingbird hovering around. I love to cook as well and have an assortment of herbs that keep coming back year after year.

My condo benefits from at least 5-7 hours a day of direct sunshine with modest shading from trees in the late afternoon. Once I plant these things there isn't usually much work involved aside from regular waterings.

Last summer I experimented with three different kinds of tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers (which was totally ridiculous but almost worked). I just about s**t the bed when my weird German neighbor told me recently that last summer he "helped" my veggies by dosing them with insect spray. I'm leery about planting edible foods from here on out.

There is nothing better in the summer than a sandwich made with fresh tomatoes. I have an awesome recipe that I'll eventually get around to posting online.

Purple Shamrock.

A random assortment that I threw together. The Persian Shield (in purple) is starting to dominate. I hate the crappy plastic chairs by the way. I keep getting outbid on eBay on vintage metal tulip chairs; or motel chairs as they are also known. I should probably try and purchase during the winter instead.

Lavender at upper left and tomatoes - which I finally got into a pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment