Sunday, September 19, 2010

DC Big Flea Market: September 18-19



I've posted about this show once before, but haven't been back in months. Sometimes it's good to take a little break; especially since it's usually the same dealers hawking the same old tired junk. This weekend's show was limited to the one convention hall, but was packed to the rafters with people.

If you are going with the intent to buy, I have found that it is always good to have a plan. For example, today I knew I was going to be looking for vintage deskware for the new office. This greatly limited impulse spending.

Now, on to the goods...

This dealer had a pretty good selection of vintage movie posters.

This guy's booth always draws a crowd. Now you know why.

Dollhouse? Interesting.

These types of kits were popular throughout the 1960s. This particular one must have been a store display piece, and featured a real working engine and drifeshaft.

A small but amazing selection of mid-mod furniture and accessories.

Vintage military gear is always popular.

The formica dining table was unique in that the leaf was included. That's pretty rare.

What a great sign. Unfortunately the mercury was long gone.

"I Pity the Fool!"

Vintage Ray-Ban aviators and a can of Old Milwaukee suds? Sounds about right to me.

I've always been a Pac-Man junky, and I had that exact same lunchbox when I was a kid. Not a bad buy at $65 (I didn't get it) considering the thermos was included.

The Jimmy Carter Presidential Campaign coloring books were a warehouse find. Absolutely hilarious.

I'll be kicking myself later for not purchashing that vintage Georgetown pennant. They are impossible to find here in the DC area.

Some pretty decent furniture, but those two matching chairs in the front were going for $650. Rip. Off.


So what the hell did I buy? I actually made out pretty well. See for yourself:

I popped immediately on this vintage plant stand. I've wanted one for awhile, and at only $40 it was way cheaper than what I've been able to find on eBay. The fiberglass is a little scuffed and scratched, but I have a few project ideas in mind.

I saw this desk fan and knew that I wanted it for the office. It was only $18 and needs a little cleaning up, but it works great. I date it back to the 1940s.

No comments:

Post a Comment